Monday, February 6, 2012

Learning Curve

A while back, I watched a documentary on Netflix regarding the human brain.  I believe that it had originally aired on the Discovery channel.  One of the topics regarding the brain that was covered was how people learn. They highlighted a scientist conducting a study on the brain and learning and what he concluded was pretty interesting.  His experiment consisted of test subjects who, over a period of days, would play an arcade-style skiing game that they had never played before and who had also never gone skiing (water or snow).  What the scientist was trying to prove was that people, when given something new to learn, require sleep in order to improve at what they are trying to learn.  The experiment was ongoing, but the statistical data supported the scientist's thesis.

How does this relate to me, and pottery, you may ask?  Today, Monday, was the first day I have thrown since last Tuesday's 8 hour throwing session.  And in less than 1 1/2 hours, I threw two small pieces, and centered the clay like I've been doing it everyday for the past 15 years.  Apparently, 6 nights of sleep helped me a lot!

Tomorrow, I am hoping for another all day throwing session if time and the day allows.

No comments:

Post a Comment